Frequently Asked Questions

What am I really getting from the builder?

We understand that building a new home is an exciting time in your life, but it’s also a big investment and not something we approach lightly. Our unique experience is what allows us to provide an unmatched level of operational and project excellence on all of our custom home projects, always embracing the values of accountability reliability, quality of finish, flexibility and the complete service package including Interior, Landscape & Pool designs. We at Grand Cru Developments deal with the inevitable construction issues and pleasantly exchange ideas and solutions to remove the hassles out of building leaving your building experience all but a positive one.

What are specifications and who prepares them?

Standard specifications provide a detailed description of the quality of materials or workmanship in conjunction with working drawings, details and other contract documents to enable an accurate contract price to be achieved. This is a standard form created by a National Body (in our case, Housing Industry Association) and supplied by the Builder.

What is involved in the contract? What do I need to be aware of?

A workable and watertight building contract is as important to the success of a building project as the plans, designs, and materials used during construction. A contract should apply to every construction project – from a small bathroom renovation, to a construction of a new home. All parties need to work to a written roadmap with clear guidelines and rules on issues such as:

  • When the work is to be completed
  • The scope of works
  • The contract price
  • How and when payment is to occur
  • What happens if there are delays
  • How to manage variations
  • Any other matters that could lead to misunderstandings and disputes.

We at Grand Cru Developments use a national body called the Housing Industry Association, HIA contracts have been specifically prepared for the residential construction industry to reflect the risks and responsibilities of home building. Over the years HIA have amended and updated our contracts to ensure they comply with the very specific and detailed laws and regulations that apply to the home building industry for the benefit of all Clients & Builders.

What are the different payment stages?

Progress Payments are made at the end of each construction phase, the Builder will issue the Client an invoice for the progress payment. Payment should only be made to the person or company whose name appears on the contract. Progress Payment schedule & payment amount can be negotiated and will vary given the contract situation (eg. Finance or Cash) and will be specified in each Building Contract to the Stages of Completion and the required amount which is due.

An example of a Single Storey Residential Dwelling with Finance involved would be as follows:

  • Deposit of up to but not exceeding 6.5% of the total cost
  • Floor Slab 10%
  • Brickwork Completion 30%
  • Plaster Set 40%
  • Practical Completion 13.5%

What advice would you give me during the build process? What should I be doing to ensure I get the home I expected?

There is no such thing as a stupid question or too many questions, your house should be built around you in which you should know every detail possible. It is the Builders responsibility to guide, nuture and explain all facets possible to the construction of your home to ensure the optimal result is achieved.

What help is available to me when making decisions?

The knowledge and knowhow of many years of experience from the Grand Cru Team is at your fingertips or at the other end of the phone to discuss all options & possibilities to every facet of your build with the objective being that we achieve everything that is possible.

What are the important things to consider when selecting materials and fittings?

Ensuring that all items fit in seamlessly with the confidence of a great performing product selected by our teams years of experience and knowledge.

Who is responsible for what during the building project?

The Builder shall obtain any permits or licences that are required for the performance of the Works pursuant to all statutes, codes, regulations, or orders of any officer or body lawfully empowered to make or issue the same. The Builder shall comply with all relevant statutes, regulations and local laws and any lawful orders or directions made thereunder which relate to the Works.

Can I make changes during the build process?

If the Owner shall require any variation to the Works or the Construction Documents, he shall supply the Builder with a written request for such variation with The Builder having the choice to decline requested variation but in the event that the Builder is prepared to agree to the variation they shall be entitled to a fee in accordance with the Housing Contract and any such variation shall be carried out as if it were a part of the Works under this Contract. If the variation necessitates a deletion from the Works or the Construction Documents, the Builder shall be entitled to be paid forthwith for all work done and materials procured or used for that part(s) of the ‘Works’ deleted.

Am I allowed on the job site? Can I inspect the work as it goes up? Can I bring someone with me?

The Builder shall be given exclusive possession of the Site for the purpose of performance of this Contract and shall be entitled to remain in possession until the Contract Price has been paid in full by the Owner. The Owner or an authorised person as defined in Section 26(3) of the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 shall be given access to the Site to carry out the relevant inspections, provided that such inspections are made during the Builder’s normal working hours and such inspections do not unreasonably impede or interfere with the Works. Neither the Owner nor any person acting on the Owner’s behalf shall give or be entitled to give at any time, directions to the Builder’s trade persons or subcontractors on the Site or elsewhere relating to the Works. After practical completion the Builder shall be entitled to reasonable access to the Site for the purpose of completing his obligations.

How can I be sure the work is completed to a high standard?

Most importantly, at Grand Cru Developments we view your project as a reflection upon ourselves and our business. We apply this approach to our work every day, taking great pride in our ability to deliver exceptional results and customer experiences. As a result we are a member of an Australian organisation called the Housing Industry Association (HIA). We Grand Cru Developments see our membership in an industry organisation is an indication of professionalism. Association members have access to training and the latest information on all aspects of building and they agree to the HIA’s code of ethics, which sets out a framework for fair and honest business practices. At Grand Cru Developments we personally select quality Tradesman, Sub-Contractors & Suppliers with a proven history of reliability with Grand Cru Developments or other high quality builders in conjunction with our hands on approach with the support of the relevant Tradesman/Supplier espically at the initial set out & layout of each stage of construction. We purposely limit the number of projects on the go to enable adequate time to be spent monitoring each project allowing us to offer a satisfaction guaranteed with a Defects Liability Period of 12 months & 7 year Structural Warranty.

Will you allow me to bring my own tradesmen to perform certain jobs or do I have to use only yours? I can buy the fixtures from a friend but who will fit them? What do I do?

The Owner is responsible for and undertakes to have any items supplied by the Owner adequately insured against damage, loss or theft until the Owner takes possession of the Works. If the Builder agrees in writing to the Owner providing materials, goods or work to the Site, the materials, goods or work to be provided by the Owner shall be:

  • Suitable for inclusion into the Works
  • Supplied or completed in the time required by the Builder
  • New unless otherwise specified
  • Completed to the Builder’s satisfaction.

The Builder is not responsible for the performance and suitability of materials, goods or work provided by the Owner.
The Builder may reject any item or material supplied by the Owner, if the Builder believes that item or material to be defective, and the Builder may require the replacement or correction of that item or material. The Builder may reject any work carried out by or on behalf of the Owner and require that the Owner or the Owner’s contractor replaces, corrects or removes the defective work.

Owner’s contractors on the Site are at the risk of the Owner and the Owner shall insure that work against damage, loss or theft until the Owner takes possession of the Works. (The Owner indemnifies the Builder against all loss, cost, damage or expense that the Builder may suffer or incur in connection with the work done by the Owner or the Owner’s contractors or materials or goods supplied by the Owner. If the Owner carries out or causes to be carried out other work on the Site while the Works are being carried out then the Owner shall ensure that the Owner’s contractors:

  • Do not interfere with the progress of the Works
  • Hold and maintain the same insurance coverage as the Builder is required to hold and maintain under this Contract in relation to their works
  • Hold an appropriate permit to carry out the work
  • Observe all relevant occupational health and safety laws and the requirements of the Builder in regard to occupational health and safety
  • Obey all directions issued by the Builder regarding the coordination and timing of their works on the Site
  • Co-operate with all of the other workers and contractors on the Site

At the end of the day it is simply not worth your while as the risks do not out way the benefits and only interferes with Builders Duties of delivering a home which delivered at their standard.

What happens if I have a disagreement with the builder or if my builder does something in a way I don’t like or is wrong?

In the event of any dispute or difference between the Owner and the Builder at any time whatsoever as to any matter arising hereunder or in any way concerned or connected herewith or relating to the construction of this Contract then notwithstanding the rights of either party to apply to the Building Commissioner or State Administrative Tribunal, or other relevant Statutory Bodies, either party may give to the other notice of such dispute, disagreement or difference and at the expiration of FIVE (5) days thereafter and in the absence of any settlement may be referred by either party to arbitration which will be conducted in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Act 1985 by:

A single arbitrator appointed by mutual consent; or

In the event that agreement of the appointee is not reached within FIVE (5) days a single arbitrator shall be appointed by the President or his nominee of the Housing Industry Association (Western Australian Division). Such appointee shall be an Arbitrator approved by the Institute of Arbitrators (Western Australian Chapter). At the time of application of such appointee the party applying shall deposit with the Housing Industry Association such sum as may then be required by way of security for costs of the arbitration proceedings and further sums so contributed whether by direction of the arbitrator or otherwise (but always in equal shares) shall be applied in accordance with the directions of the arbitrator.

The conduct of the arbitrator shall be in accordance with and subject to the provisions of the Commercial Arbitration Act 1985 and the decision of the single arbitrator appointed shall be final. The rights and obligations of the parties under this Contract shall be modified only to the extent made necessary by such arbitration

What happens if I have problems after I have moved in? How long will the building maintenance period last?

Subject to Clause 14(c) and (d), the Builder shall make good at the cost of the Builder as soon as is reasonably practicable defects in the Works notified in writing to the Builder within the period specified in Item 12 of the Schedule. The term “Practical Completion” in Item 12 of the Schedule has the same meaning as Clause 19(a).

In Clause 14(a) “defect” means a failure to:

(i) perform the works in a proper and workmanlike manner and in accordance with this Contract; or

(ii) supply materials that are of merchantable quality and reasonably fit for the purpose for which the Owner required the Works to be performed,

not being a failure for which the Builder is specifically declared by this Contract to be not liable.

The Builder’s liability under Clause 14(a) shall be reduced to the extent of any exemptions made from time to time for the purpose of section 11(3) of the Home Building Contracts Act 1991.

The Builder shall not be liable to remedy any damage or rectify any defects to the Works arising from any work carried out on the Site by the Owner or the Owner’s servants or agents at any time.

What does demolition involve?

While knocking down a house is a fairly uncomplicated job, there are quite a few things that need to be taken into consideration. These include:

  • Applying for the necessary demolition permits
  • Disconnecting existing services (e.g. electricity, drainage, gas and water supply)
  • Protecting nearby properties and structures
  • Ensuring that the area’s safe for the rest of the public
  • Arranging for salvage or disposal of the demolition waste

Who does demolition work?

Demolition work can be extremely dangerous, and should only ever be carried out by an approved, licensed demolisher. Demolishers often provide a full-service, dealing with clean up, waste disposal, asbestos removal, salvage and completely clearing the site of rubble and vegetation. Some demolishers also operate as recyclers and building suppliers too.

How much does house demolition cost?

The pricing of a demolition specialist will depend on a variety of things. The demolisher will normally need to come and look at the site to make an appraisal. The quoted price will usually take into account how much demolition work’s involved, what sorts of materials will be involved, how easily the site can be accessed, and what the demolisher can salvage and sell, among other things. As with any other aspect of building, it’s never a bad idea to get a few quotes.

How long does it take to demolish a house?

Demolition of an entire house can normally be carried out in a matter of days, although this will also depend on how big the house is and what’s going to be salvaged but it would be fair to allow an entire month for the entire process to take place from the lodgement of an Demolition Permit to the vacant block being back in your possession.

House design and specification modifications may be required to comply with the energy efficiency rating provisions of the Building Code of Australia. Placement of the home on the lot, orientation, and climate zone will affect the specific modifications required

FAQ didn’t answer your questions?

Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss.

Call us

0408 931 378

About Grand Cru Developments

Grand Cru Developments is a fresh and enthusiastic custom home builder in Perth, specialising in custom designed homes for all situations. Our business is driven by a vision to build exceptional custom homes with each design an individual journey, a journey to a destination that’s defined by you, our client. Our personalised, ‘turnkey’ service ensures you receive an exceptional building experience with the highest quality of workmanship.

Call Vito today on 0408 931 378 to discuss the vision for your dream home.